- Shoppers Find Retail Therapy Online – While gas demand is down, e-Commerce sales were up by double digits over last year, an indication that shoppers are finding deals online instead of driving to local stores.
- Clothing and Accessories Take a Hit – The Apparel and Department Store categories were especially hit hard in September, continued evidence that consumers are sacrificing vanity for necessity.
- Sales of Home Goods Slip – Consumers cut back spending on Hardware and Furniture & Furnishings in September. If the government shut down continues, impacts to the housing recovery may continue to drag down these sectors for months to come.
- Travel Bounces Back - The Travel sector showed a bit of growth in September, possibly a hint of what’s to come for the economy as consumers make plans for the holidays.
No Government Data? MasterCard Has You Covered With Consumer Spending Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.