ST. LOUIS, Oct. 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Arch Coal, Inc. ("Arch") (NYSE: ACI) today announced that it has entered into an agreement to acquire the Guffy property from Patriot Coal Corporation ("Patriot") for $16 million in cash. The Guffy reserves are owned in-fee, are contiguous to Arch's Tygart Valley reserves and the Leer mine, and are of comparable quality to Leer's high-volatile "A" metallurgical coal reserves. The addition of the Guffy reserves will enable Arch to recover up to an incremental 8 million tons of metallurgical coal at the Leer mine, thereby extending the estimated mine life of Leer by nearly three years.
"The Guffy acquisition represents a valuable, synergistic, bolt-on opportunity for Arch that extends the reserves and mine life at Leer, one of our premier, metallurgical coal operations in Appalachia," said John W. Eaves, Arch Coal's president and chief executive officer.
Arch also announced today that it has resolved all pending and potential legal claims with Patriot stemming from Arch's sale of coal companies to Magnum Coal Company, a subsidiary of ArcLight Capital Partners LLC, in 2005 and the subsequent purchase of those companies by Patriot in 2008. In consideration for this release, Arch will pay $5 million in cash to Patriot upon its exit from bankruptcy. Additionally, the settlement includes the release of a $16 million letter of credit posted by Patriot in Arch's favor for surety bonds related to the companies sold to Magnum. Under the terms of the agreement, Patriot is required to replace the bonds in their own name or repost an $8 million letter of credit in Arch's favor by Dec. 31, 2015."This comprehensive settlement with Patriot relieves Arch of costly legal expenses, resolves the distraction of litigation claims, and allows Arch's management team to remain focused on steering the business through current market conditions and preparing for a recovery," continued Eaves.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV