By Mike Yamamoto, managing editor of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Hologic (HOLX) saw upside action two weeks ago, and the bulls came back Wednesday.
About 4,500 November 22 calls were purchased for 65 cents to 90 cents, according to OptionMonster's tracking systems. Open interest in the strike was just 145 contracts before the trades appeared, showing that this is fresh buying.
These calls lock in the price where the stock can be purchased in the next five weeks no matter how far it might climb. But the contracts will expire worthless if the shares remain below $22 through mid-November.Hologic's stock rose 4.16% to $21.51 on Wednesday and is back above its 100-day moving average. The medical-device maker fell sharply after presenting at a Morgan Stanley conference on Sept. 10, and it is now trying to break out of a tight range in place for the last month. Total option volume in the name topped 9,900 on Wednesday, almost six times its daily average for the last month. Of those contracts, fewer than 1,500 were puts. The bullish action Wednesday follows buying in the March 22 calls on Sept. 25. Yamamoto has no positions in HOLX.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV