TORRANCE, Calif., Oct. 9, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Farmer Bros. Co. (Nasdaq:FARM) (the "Company"), a manufacturer, wholesaler and distributor of coffee, tea and culinary products, today reported financial results for the fourth quarter and fiscal year ended June 30, 2013. The Company also announced that it has filed its Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2013 (the "Form 10-K"). The Company had delayed the filing due to the restatement of certain prior period financial statements resulting from errors related to the Company's accounting for certain postretirement benefit obligations for its retiree medical plan, failure to timely adopt accounting guidance relating to a postretirement death benefit, when originally issued, and failure to record the appropriate amounts reflecting the cash surrender value of life insurance policies purchased to fund the postretirement death benefit.
Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2013 Highlights:
- Net sales increased 6.5% to $128.8 million for the fourth quarter and 2.9% to $510.0 million for the full fiscal year compared to the same periods in fiscal 2012;
- Gross profit increased 4.3% to $47.5 million for the fourth quarter and 10.5% to $191.1 million for the full fiscal year compared to the same periods in fiscal 2012;
- Loss from operations was $2.7 million for the fourth quarter and $4.1 million for the full fiscal year;
- Net loss was $3.0 million, or $0.19 per common share, for the fourth quarter and $8.5 million, or $0.54 per common share, for the full fiscal year; and
- EBITDAE was $6.5 million for the fourth quarter and $33.7 million for the full fiscal year. EBITDAE is a non-GAAP financial measure; a reconciliation table of reported net loss to EBITDAE is included at the end of this press release.
"Our product innovation efforts, combined with our increased emphasis on sales and marketing, enabled us to realize growth in our national account business and report improved fourth quarter and fiscal year financial results," said Mike Keown, Farmer Bros. President and CEO. "In addition, our team worked to maintain price across our DSD customer base which has contributed to our improved margins. Going forward, I believe we have made considerable progress in the year and I am confident that we have the right strategies and organization to continue."