FREMONT, Calif., Oct. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Men's Wearhouse (NYSE: MW) today announced that its Board of Directors has adopted a limited duration shareholder rights plan (the "Rights Plan") and declared a dividend of one right on each share of the Company's common stock outstanding at 5:00 p.m., Eastern time, on October 21, 2013. The Rights Plan was adopted following the Company's rejection of the unsolicited proposal by Jos. A. Bank to acquire Men's Wearhouse for $48.00 per share as it significantly undervalues Men's Wearhouse, is inadequate and not in the best interests of the Company or its shareholders. The Rights Plan is not intended to prevent an acquisition of the Company on terms that the Board of Directors considers favorable and fair to, and in the best interests of, all shareholders, and will not do so.
In the absence of further action by the Board of Directors and subject to certain exceptions, the rights generally will become exercisable and allow holders to acquire the Company's common stock at a discounted price if a person or group acquires beneficial ownership of 10% percent or more of Men's Wearhouse common stock (15% in the case of a passive institutional investor) in a transaction not approved by the Board of Directors of the Company. In that situation, rights held by persons or groups that exceed the applicable threshold will be void. The Rights Plan expires on September 30, 2014 unless earlier redeemed, exchanged or terminated by the Company.
In addition, the Company announced that the Board of Directors has amended and restated the Company's bylaws and adopted a two-thirds voting standard for approval of shareholder amendments to the bylaws and revised the advance notice provision to require earlier advance notice of intended shareholder nominations of directors and to require persons seeking to make nominations to provide more information about themselves and their nominees.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV