It's still too early to gauge whether these were major expansions or a simple act of penny pinching. Congress will probably consider more legislation to protect their tax revenues in the future ( assuming they get back to legislating in the first place). However, it will be hard to prevent companies from avoiding more taxes without making it difficult for anyone to go multinational at all.
Are these companies buying smaller rivals simply to appease the IRS, or are there more ambitious plans afoot? Tell us what you think.
Click on the interactive chart to see analyst ratings over time.
Do you follow mergers and acquisitions as part of your investment strategy? Use the list below as a starting point for your own analysis. 1. Applied Materials Inc. ( AMAT): Provides manufacturing equipment, services, and software to the semiconductor, flat panel display, solar photovoltaic (PV), and related industries worldwide. Market cap at $20.81B, most recent closing price at $17.50.
2. Eaton Corporation ( ETN): Operates as a power management company worldwide. Market cap at $32.03B, most recent closing price at $65.90.
3. Perrigo Co. ( PRGO): Develops, manufactures, and distributes over-the-counter (OTC) and generic prescription (Rx) pharmaceuticals, nutritional products, infant formulas, active pharmaceutical ingredients (API), and pharmaceutical and medical diagnostic products worldwide. Market cap at $12.07B, most recent closing price at $128.18.
4. Actavis, Inc. ( ACT): Engages in developing, manufacturing, marketing, selling, and distributing generic, branded generic, brand, biosimilar, and over-the-counter pharmaceutical products worldwide. Market cap at $18.33B, most recent closing price at $139.80.
5. Ingersoll-Rand Plc ( IR): Engages in the design, manufacture, sale, and service of a portfolio of industrial and commercial products in the United States and internationally. Market cap at $18.18B, most recent closing price at $62.82.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts