Columbus Day 2013: What's Open, What's Closed
The resentment isn't confined to native Americans, either. Many Latin American countries, including Mexico, call October 14 Dia de la Raza, or "Day of the Race," but the intent there is the same, to counteract the idea that a European called Columbus "discovered" something that was here all along.
What the day is called depends on who has the political clout to own it. In Costa Rica, where there is a close balance of all races, October 14 is "Dia de las Culturas," or "Day of the Cultures," and recognizes all the African, European, native American and Asian cultures that make up the Americas.
Just as Columbus Day keeps some people away from work, of course, it means others work harder than ever. This is especially true in retailing, where car dealers, malls and outlets have made it a tradition to advertise specials.
Columbus Day is a postal holiday; no mail will be delivered by USPS.
FedEx and UPS will provide normal pickup and delivery services on Columbus Day. Follow @DanaBlankenhor This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV