NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- While some investors are claiming that the stock market is approaching bubble territory, Russell Croft, manager of the Croft Value Fund, tells TheStreet's Gregg Greenberg that that's not the case.
While equities have had a solid run in 2013, he said that valuations are fair, especially considering the earnings growth.
Mylan (MYL) was one of his favorite picks, because of the solid earnings growth and free cash flow. He added that the company is leading the move in lower-priced healthcare with its generic drug line.
Mondelez International (MDLZ) was another pick, despite the noise from a few big name investors. Croft said he likes its core business.The snack business continues to grow at 5% to 7% annually, which is good for food. He added that improving margins should drive the long-term growth for the company and its earnings. Croft said National Fuel Gas (NFG) and Plum Creek Timber (PCL) were two other top picks. The former has smooth and consistent earnings while the latter has exposure to the housing market and is the second largest timber owner in the U.S. And despite being a REIT, Plum Creek Timber seems to be in good shape. Croft noted the recent bullish comments from management and the company's first dividend raise since 2007. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV