ST. PAUL, Minn., Oct. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Discovery Education and 3M have named 11-year-old Peyton Robertson from Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., winner of the 2013 Discovery Education 3M Young Scientist Challenge for his innovative sandbag design. Every year, millions of dollars of damage are incurred due to salt-water flooding, with the most recent claims being made during last year's Hurricane Sandy. This prototype aims to help better protect flood zones against salt-water damage from future storms. Robertson, a sixth grader at Stanford University's Middle School, competed alongside nine other finalists yesterday during a live competition at the 3M Innovation Center in St. Paul, Minn., and was awarded the title of "America's Top Young Scientist," $25,000 and a trip to Costa Rica from Discovery Student Adventures.
To download hi-res images and b-roll footage of the science competition, go to www.youngscientistchallengemedia.com .
Over the past three months, Robertson and the other finalists had the exclusive opportunity to work directly with a 3M Scientist as they created their personal innovation as part of a summer mentorship program. The 3M Scientists provided guidance to the finalists as they developed their ideas from a theoretical concept into an actual prototype that would help solve a problem in everyday life.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV