- $6.4 million contract award for continued sub-megawatt solid oxide fuel cell power plant development
- On-site biogas powered solid oxide fuel cell power plant demonstration at a dairy farm
DANBURY, Conn., Oct. 9, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- FuelCell Energy, Inc. (Nasdaq:FCEL), a global leader in the design, manufacture, operation and service of ultra-clean, efficient and reliable fuel cell power plants, today announced two updates regarding the development and commercialization of solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC) technology including a $6.4 million cost shared cooperative agreement with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) to continue research and development on a demonstration sub-megawatt SOFC power plant. Separately, a DOE supported project to convert agricultural waste into renewable power utilizing an SOFC power plant is preparing for operation at a dairy farm in California in conjunction with the project partner TDA Research, Inc.
"We have a multi-faceted strategy for the commercialization of our solid oxide fuel cell technology including future coal syngas opportunities under a U.S. Department of Energy program as well as adjacent market opportunities to our existing markets including sub megawatt commercial building and wastewater treatment plant applications," said Chip Bottone, President and Chief Executive Officer. "We are evaluating potential partnerships for the commercialization of the technology including discussions with organizations in North America, Asia and Europe."
"We believe our technology is well suited for the market with industry-leading electrical efficiency of approximately 60 percent plus usable heat for combined heat and power applications, resulting in total estimated thermal efficiency between 80 and 85 percent. The technology is also fuel flexible, with the ability to utilize coal syngas, clean natural gas, on-site renewable biogas or directed biogas," said Tony Leo, Vice President Application Engineering & Advanced Technology Development, FuelCell Energy, Inc. "We have increased the size and power density of the individual fuel cells, which is critical to high volume manufacturing of an economically competitive product as we enhance the technology and prepare for commercialization."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV