COLUMBUS, Ohio, Oct. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Core Molding Technologies, Inc. (NYSE MKT: CMT), a leading North American compounder of custom sheet molding compound (SMC) and molder of fiberglass reinforced plastics, today announced that production of its proprietary low-density Featherlite® SMC has reached 10,000,000 pounds, a milestone for a reduced density SMC material. The success of this product has prompted a second-generation advancement to be developed, also released today, which the company is branding FeatherliteXL™ SMC.
"In little more than two years, we have seen our innovative, low-density Featherlite® SMC progress from the laboratory, to solid commercial acceptance, to rapidly reaching this production milestone," said Terry O'Donovan, Vice President, Marketing and Sales for Core Molding Technologies. "The Featherlite® material system blends good mechanical performance with high surface quality, all in a density package that, at 1.43 sp.gr., is 25 percent lower than standard SMC formulations," he added.
Featherlite® SMC is in active use in the automotive, heavy truck and personal watercraft markets.
Capitalizing on the knowledge gained from the company's recently-announced Airilite™ SMC development, Core has reformulated its Featherlite® system into a second-generation product. The new FeatherliteXL™ SMC offers the same density and mechanical strength as its predecessor material. However, Core has been able to improve the resin-to-glass strength of the system, by adopting technology developed with the Airilite™ SMC research. The company expects many of its current Featherlite® applications will adopt the new FeatherliteXL™ improvements.All three low-density material systems are intended for use primarily by Core in products the company molds for its customers, and in limited circumstances, as raw SMC sold to external molders. Test plaques are available to qualified customers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV