Clergy, Religious Leaders Address Government Shutdown, Debt Ceiling Crisis With 'Faithful Filibuster'
WASHINGTON, Oct. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Clergy and religious leaders will gather across from the U.S. Capitol today to read the more than 2,000 verses of Scripture charging humanity to care for hungry and poor people. This "Faithful Filibuster," which will include leaders from the National Association of Evangelicals, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, Bread for the World and Sojourners, will begin at 2 p.m. EDT on Oct. 9 and will continue at the beginning of each day's session of Congress.
The "Faithful Filibuster" aims to remind congressional leaders of the biblical mandate to protect the most vulnerable people. It is organized by the Circle of Protection, a coalition of faith leaders supporting programs that meet the essential needs of hungry and poor people at home and abroad.
The event is open to media. Interview opportunities with religious leaders in attendance will be available.
What: Clergy and religious leaders undertake a "Faithful Filibuster" to remind Congress that its dysfunction hurts struggling families and low-income people, and to call on Congress to pass a budget that cares for the poor and vulnerable.Who: Jim Wallis , president, Sojourners Rev. David Beckmann , president, Bread for the World Galen Carey , vice president, National Association of Evangelicals When: Wednesday, October 9, 2013, at 2 p.m. EDT Where: The United Methodist Building 100 Maryland Ave, NE Washington, DC 20002 The Circle of Protection is composed of more than 65 heads of denominations, relief and development agencies, and other Christian organizations. For more information, please visit www.circleofprotection.us
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV