NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- U.S. politics have stolen the spotlight, but fundamentals are still backing commodity and commodity currency price patterns.
Oil and the Aussie dollar have traded in volatile ranges over the past few days, due to uncertainty over the debt ceiling in the U.S. Looking further out at a daily chart, however, the price patterns show logical formations.
The first chart below is of United States Oil (USO). Oil has developed what looks to be a head-and-shoulders reversal formation at yearly highs.
Summer has ended and the Syrian violence premium has all but diminished, as oil struggles to maintain its lofty price levels.Increased supply sources, such as a new pipeline between Texas and Oklahoma coming to completion, mean that bears may overcome the bulls in oil. There should be an advance as assets across the board are bid higher when Washington resolves the debt debacle, but don't be surprised if this last push up completes the impending head-and-shoulders reversal pattern.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV