Microsoft needs a new leader. I absolutely agree with that. 100%.
But replacing a struggling tech giant with someone like Mulally would kind of be like Apple (AAPL) with Tim Cook.
Now, I have defended Cook in the past and I can see how the above sentence may seem hypocritical, but allow me to explain.
Unlike Microsoft, Apple isn't in trouble -- yet. It still has creative genius Jony Ive. The company continues churning out record profits and at this point just needs someone to effectively manage the company.That's Cook's role. Microsoft doesn't just need a manager though. It needs a new leader. An innovator. Someone who can spinoff certain assets, unlock value and find the company's next growth catalyst. It has enough Tim Cooks. Now it just needs a Jony Ive. Not only do I believe that Mulally will stay at Ford, but I believe he's the wrong man for the Microsoft job. Sure, he's got a home in Seattle where Microsoft is based, and likes to yuck it up with Ballmer & Co. from time to time, but that doesn't mean he's going to run the company. I think the media got a hold of this 'Mulally for CEO' campaign and ran with it. I'm willing to be wrong, but man, I just don't see it happening. At the time of publication the author was long F and AAPL. Follow @BretKenwell This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV