RALEIGH, N.C., Oct. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- BioDelivery Sciences International, Inc. (Nasdaq: BDSI) announced today that its New Drug Application (NDA) for BUNAVAIL (buprenorphine naloxone buccal film) for the maintenance treatment of opioid dependence has been accepted for filing by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), indicating that the application is sufficiently complete to permit a substantive review. Based on timelines established by the Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA), the review of the BUNAVAIL NDA is expected to be completed by early June 2014.
BUNAVAIL utilizes BDSI's proprietary BioErodible MucoAdhesive (BEMA) technology to deliver buprenorphine for the maintenance treatment of opioid dependence, along with the opioid antagonist naloxone, which is intended to serve as an abuse deterrent. BUNAVAIL was designed to efficiently and conveniently deliver buprenorphine while potentially overcoming some of the challenges with other dosage forms.
BDSI believes BUNAVAIL may offer meaningful advantages over existing treatments and could provide an alternative to the over 2 million people estimated in the U.S. to be opioid dependent. Currently, Suboxone sublingual film is the only available film formulation of buprenorphine and naloxone and is estimated to have generated sales in excess of $1 billion dollars over the last 12 months. BUNAVAIL, if approved by the FDA, would be the first buccal film formulation of buprenorphine/naloxone to enter the market. BDSI believes that BUNAVAIL has the potential to generate annual peak U.S. sales up to $250 million.About BUNAVAIL and Opioid Dependence BUNAVAIL is the first and only buccal (adhering to the inside of the cheek) formulation of buprenorphine and naloxone and has been developed for the maintenance treatment of opioid dependence. BUNAVAIL utilizes BDSI's proven and patent-protected BioErodible MucoAdhesive (BEMA) drug delivery technology.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV