Anyone Can Spot a Fake New $100 Bill
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- With the government -- or at least a portion of it -- shut down due to the Congressional face-off over the Affordable Care Act, Uncle Sam doesn't have the time or the resources to put too much on the table.
But there is room for a new piece of currency -- a revamped $100 bill released this week by the Federal Reserve.
The shiny new C-note was released Tuesday, and it's a doozy from a security point of view. The bill's new features, according to the Federal Reserve:
- A 3-D security ribbon
- A portrait watermark
- Raised or "elevated" printing
- More dynamic, "color-shifting 100" graphics
No worries about any old $100 bills lying around, if you have a few of them in this economy. Of course the old bills are perfectly good as legal tender.Old bills are to be phased out gradually, though, mostly in the interest of security, as more counterfeiters are making bills that too often past muster with retailers and banks. The new $100 bill was especially designed to thwart counterfeiters, government officials say. "The new design incorporates security features that make it easier to authenticate, but harder to replicate," says Federal Reserve Board Governor Jerome H. Powell. "As the new note transitions into daily transactions, the user-friendly security features will allow the public to more easily verify its authenticity." NewMoney.gov (unlike many government sites, it's up and open to the public.) Otherwise, you'll likely see it at a bank near you the next time you're looking for some hefty currency. Chances are the public will have no problem with the new bill, while counterfeiters won't be so happy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV