But Todd isn't just looking for the highest bidder. Price is a factor, of course, but a number of other factors must align in order for Todd to agree to sell. Most importantly, the buyer would need to be someone who will understand her target customer (mainly moms and grandmothers), appreciate the classic, traditional style of clothing she sells, while at the same time be able to infuse new styles to appeal to older children and young moms.
"One gentleman called me off of
Connie Todd is owner of Connie's Kids. She's looking to sell her business but is worried about finding a buyer.
Todd's store is one of many that got caught between an intense recession and the overall greater competition from large discount retail chains and online stores that today are placing extraordinary pressure on small bricks-and-mortar retailers."I'm looking for someone who has that passion for it as I do," she said. "I'm just praying for a miracle that that person is out there, who I was 26 years ago." But Todd now has another worry: Will the government shutdown effectively shut out any potential buyers? "I am still hoping for a buyer, but with the government shutdown, our area has been hit hard, so I am a little less optimistic than I was a few weeks ago," Todd said on Monday. Also see: Government Shutdown Stalls SBA Loans, Boosts Alternative Lenders Also see: How To Sell Your Business For Top Dollar Also see: Keep Organized When Selling Your Business As of this article's deadline, the U.S. government is still in a week-long shutdown of all non-essential government services as Republicans and Democrats remain divided over President Obama's controversial health care reform. The longer the government remains closed, the probability is greater that it will cut into this year's strong performance for small-firm exit transactions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV