How to Handle 'Desk Rage' in Your Office
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Every office has one, or at least it seems that way.
That "one" is the office firecracker, the guy or gal who can't keep their anger in check and seems bent on making everyone in the workplace a target of their temper.
The data on anger at work is surprising and alarming. A U.K. study says the average worker experiences desk rage at least twice daily.
That's a lot of hot air released in the office. If you feel some of it headed in your general direction, what can you do?Steven P. Cohen, president of The Negotiation Skills Co. and author of The Practical Negotiator, says dealing with an angry co-worker is easier if you understand the situation, plan for it and keep a cool head yourself.
- Listen hard to the substance of what the "yeller" is saying. He may be expressing deep feelings or revealing very significant interests.
- Don't respond immediately. One possibility is to sit there with a poker face in silence. In effect of this is letting him know that what he said or, more specifically, how he said it, is offensive to you.
- Another response is to talk in a very soft voice. Speaking very slowly. Make him listen to you, even to the point where he asks you speak a little louder.
- Your responses should begin with indication that you were listening, "If I understood you correctly ..." While you may understand what he said, that doesn't necessarily mean you agree with it. Make that point clearly.
- If the yelling produces an emotional reaction from you, you might say a version of "When someone yells at me I feel hurt/insulted/misunderstood/as if we are not communicating."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV