NATICK, Mass., Oct. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Boston Scientific (NYSE: BSX) OffRoad™ Re-Entry Catheter System demonstrated excellent performance in facilitating the treatment of complete blockages in the major arteries that supply blood to the legs. These blockages, called chronic total occlusions (CTOs), are often associated with peripheral artery disease (PAD). The data from the Re-ROUTE clinical trial were reported today in a late-breaking clinical trial session at the Vascular Interventional Advances Conference (VIVA) in Las Vegas.
In the Re-ROUTE trial, investigators were successful in navigating around challenging CTOs in the enrolled trial patients 84.8 percent of the time using the OffRoad device, exceeding the pre-specified trial goals.
"CTOs in the legs can lead to pain due to lack of blood flow. They also are an indicator of increased risk for major cardiovascular events and can lead to limb amputation and an overall diminished quality of life," said Dr. Andrej Schmidt, Parkhospital Leipzig, Center for Vascular Medicine, Leipzig, Germany, and principal investigator in the Re-ROUTE trial. "In my experience I found the OffRoad System to be a very effective tool for navigating around these challenging blockages, enabling me to treat more patients with peripheral artery disease."
The Re-ROUTE trial is a prospective, single-arm, non-randomized, multicenter ( Europe and Canada), post-market study. Results were presented at VIVA 2013 by Dr. Koen Keirse, Regional Hospital Heilig Hart Tienen, Tienen, Belgium. Results included:
- Investigators achieved an 84.8 percent (78/92) technical success rate using the OffRoad System to cross CTOs in the femoropopliteal arteries.
- At 30 days post procedure, 75 percent of patients experienced an improvement of at least one category in the Rutherford classification, a six-stage scale commonly used to assess the severity of symptoms associated with PAD.
- A 3.3 percent device-related major adverse event rate was seen at 30 days, which is below the pre-specified trial goals.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV