Trade-Ideas: Philip Morris International (PM) Is Today's Unusual Social Activity Stock
- PM has 13x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 1.60 mentions/day.
- PM has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $345.9 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in PM with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for PM NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on PM: Philip Morris International Inc., through its subsidiaries, manufactures and sells cigarettes and other tobacco products. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 4.3%. PM has a PE ratio of 17.0. Currently there are 9 analysts that rate Philip Morris International a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold. The average volume for Philip Morris International has been 4.8 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Philip Morris International has a market cap of $141.5 billion and is part of the consumer goods sector and tobacco industry. The stock has a beta of 0.90 and a short float of 0.6% with 2.52 days to cover. Shares are up 4.5% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Philip Morris International as a hold. Among the primary strengths of the company is its expanding profit margins over time. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, deteriorating net income and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- PHILIP MORRIS INTERNATIONAL' earnings per share from the most recent quarter came in slightly below the year earlier quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PHILIP MORRIS INTERNATIONAL increased its bottom line by earning $5.18 versus $4.84 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.44 versus $5.18).
- The gross profit margin for PHILIP MORRIS INTERNATIONAL is rather high; currently it is at 68.35%. Regardless of PM's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, PM's net profit margin of 26.82% compares favorably to the industry average.
- PM, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 2.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 2.5%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Tobacco industry average. The net income has decreased by 8.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $2,317.00 million to $2,124.00 million.
- Net operating cash flow has declined marginally to $3,137.00 million or 9.85% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, PHILIP MORRIS INTERNATIONAL has marginally lower results.
- You can view the full Philip Morris International Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.