'Fast Money' Recap: A Market Bubble?
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The broader market was essentially unchanged on a slow Monday of trading.
Regarding the market entering "bubble territory," Tim Seymour, managing partner of Triogem Asset Management, said on CNBC's "Fast Money," that the market isn't necessarily in a "bubble" yet, but that it is starting to become a bit worrisome.
He added that the amount of IPOs flooding the market could be a cause for concern.
Josh Brown, a financial adviser at Ritholtz Wealth Management, reminded investors that the retail "mom and pop" players haven't been in the market for a while, so the rush to get in isn't that surprising.
Guy Adami, managing director of stockmonster.com, said there are still a few solid secular trends playing out and he liked Visa (V) and Mastercard (MA). He warned investors to be careful with biotech stocks.Seymour said the valuation for consumer staples is getting stretched, especially compared to their growth rates. He likes companies with exposure to emerging markets, like Pepsico (PEP) and Mondelez (MDLZ), and would be a seller of Doctor Pepper Snapple (DPS) and General Mills (GIS). Brown called consumer staples the "ultimate irony" because it is considered the "safe-haven" of equities, but will likely feel a lot of pain when interest rates rise and money starts to flow out the stocks. Liz Dunn, associate director of Macquarie Capital, was a guest on the show who said J.C. Penney (JCP) has enough liquidity to make it though most of 2014 and needs to maintain positive comp-sales. She added that she's cautious on Kohl's (KSS) and preferred more luxurious brands like Polo Ralph Lauren (RL), Coach (COH), and Nordstrom (JWN).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV