[video] Quick Take: Gold Market Looks for Fed Minutes Boost
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- No one seems to be talking about the upcoming Federal Open Market Committee meeting on Wednesday, but Thomas Vitiello of Aurum Options told TheStreet's Joe Deaux that he hasn't forgotten about it.
Gold prices are essentially unchanged, hovering just under the $1,330 level. Vitiello said that it's widely expected the Federal Reserve will begin tapering in December or February, and that's already being priced into the gold market.
What's not being priced in is a U.S. default, with most investors expecting a resolution in Washington, he said. As the range for gold continues to tighten, Vitiello said it will likely exacerbate the move when it breaks out, whether it be higher or lower.
Regarding silver, he noted it tends to be more volatile, with a higher beta -- meaning that a move higher or lower will likely be bigger than that of gold's.Vitiello concluded that he wants to mitigate risk, but still have exposure to a big move. To do so, he suggested that option spread positions should accomplish both goals. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV