Cresud operates within a country that has suffered massive inflation over the years, whose government is not exactly friendly to business. In my view, three "events" in recent years have helped to send shares from the $20 range in late 2011, to the current $8.68 level.
First, the Argentine government nationalized the oil and gas industry in 2012. Second, the government enacted price controls in early 2013, an ill-informed attempt to stem inflation. Third, Cresud's 50.4-cent dividend, which was supposed to have been paid to ADR shareholders on Nov. 27, 2012, was not actually paid until June. This appears to be caused by the company's trouble in getting the Argentina's central bank to allow it to purchase dollars in order to pay shareholders. Argentina certainly is not the U.S.
Due to these events, Cresud has not been your typical buy-and-hold value play. I've been in and out of the stock several times, as Argentine economic events or government control issues have unfolded. My most recent stake was taken after the November dividend was finally paid, and shares are up about 11% since then.Owning South American farmland via Cresud is certainly not for the faint of heart, but it is another way to gain portfolio diversification. At the time of publication, Heller owned shares of CRESY. Follow @JonMHellerCFA This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV