ROSWELL, Ga., Oct. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Kimberly-Clark Corporation and UNICEF are joining forces to bring greater attention to life-saving hygiene practices.
For the second consecutive year, The Healthy Workplace Project is launching a 30-day Global Handwashing Day challenge. This year's challenge, with the Kleenex brand joining as a new supporter, will culminate in a $50,000 donation to support a UNICEF water, sanitation and hygiene initiative. The goal is to raise awareness of critical hygiene-related health challenges facing communities around the world.
Through Nov. 1, people can participate in The Global Handwashing Day Challenge by completing a short hygiene-and-sanitation-themed online crossword puzzle or by signing up to "Take the Pledge" to be a Handwashing Champion. Anyone who participates – regardless of whether the crossword puzzle is completed correctly – can choose one of three UNICEF programs to benefit from the donation. (People who take the pledge will receive a downloadable certificate of appreciation from the U.S. Fund for UNICEF.)
After the challenge ends, the Kimberly-Clark Foundation will donate $50,000 to support the program that receives the most votes."Enhancing health and hygiene efforts around the world is crucial to help reduce the spread of illness and disease," said Joel Schellhammer, Kimberly-Clark Professional go-to-market leader, Offices and Education. "We are proud to support UNICEF and Global Handwashing Day to improve the health and well-being of children and families everywhere." The three UNICEF initiatives are:
- Lifesaving Water Kits for Emergencies. Access to clean water and proper sanitation is crucial to preventing disease following an emergency, such as a flood or earthquake. Water kits provide children and families affected by emergencies with the supplies they need to access clean water for eating, drinking and washing, to protect them from waterborne illnesses.
- Clean and Safe Water for Communities in Need. Proper hygiene behaviors are essential to combating waterborne diseases, but this is impossible without clean water. Seven hundred and eighty million people around the world lack access to safe water. UNICEF helps communities by installing deep-well water pumps so they can have clean and safe water to wash and bathe in.
- Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Programs in Eastern and Southern Africa . This region still has a long way to go before safe water and sanitation can reach every child. Through hygiene promotion – especially handwashing with soap – UNICEF works to maximize health benefits, focusing in particular on the survival, growth and development of young children.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV