The company takes a “rolling laboratory” approach which means it’s always testing different technologies to find the best sources of energy for its vehicles. UPS recently began a pilot program testing propane vehicles in Gainesville, Ga., and over the past year has deployed 20 biomethane vehicles in the United Kingdom. UPS also currently operates approximately 1,000 compressed natural gas (CNG) vehicles and will begin a pilot program testing CNG tractors in early 2014 as it continues to look toward natural gas as a substitute for conventional fuel.
Between 2000 and the end of 2012, the UPS alternative fuel and advanced technology fleet logged 295 million miles. In 2012, the growing fleet drove 49 million miles, a 43 percent increase compared to 2011.
For more information on UPS's sustainability initiatives, review the company's entire 2012 Corporate Sustainability Report at www.ups.com/sustainability.
UPS (NYSE:UPS) is a global leader in logistics, offering a broad range
of solutions for the transportation of packages and freight, including
innovative delivery options for the global consumer market; the
facilitation of international trade, and the deployment of advanced
technology to more efficiently manage the world of business.
Headquartered in Atlanta, UPS serves more than 220 countries and
territories worldwide. The company can be found on the Web at
and its corporate blog can be found at
To get UPS news direct, visit
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV