The Reaves Utility Income Fund (NYSE MKT: UTG) announced today the next three monthly dividends, at a rate of $0.13125 per common share per month, unchanged from the per share rate paid for the previous quarter. As of October 7, 2013, the Fund’s market price was $24.81 per share and its net asset value was $26.27 per share.
Ron Sorenson, CEO and CIO of Reaves Asset Management, advisor to the Fund, recently cautioned investors to avoid blanket conclusions about the negative impact of rising interest rates on utilities’ share prices. Mr. Sorenson conceded that in the short run the impact from rising rates on most utilities’ share prices is typically negative. But over the longer term, Mr. Sorenson suggested, the market differentially rewards those utilities growing their earnings and dividends. “As interest rates move higher,” Mr. Sorenson said, “we see opportunities to benefit from stock price dislocations when prices decline in response to changes in investor expectations.”
The Fund has formally implemented the 19b-1 exemption received from the Securities and Exchange Commission in 2009. A portion of each distribution may be treated as paid from sources other than net income, including but not limited to short-term capital gain, long-term capital gain and return of capital. The final determination of the source of these distributions, including the percentage of qualified dividend income, will be made after the Fund’s year end.
Not less than eighty percent of the Fund’s assets will continue to be invested in the securities of utility companies. As a policy, the Fund continues to strive to provide a high level of after-tax income and total return consisting primarily of tax-advantaged dividend income and capital appreciation.The following dates apply to the upcoming dividends that have been declared: Ex-Distribution Date: October 18, 2013Record Date: October 22, 2013Payable Date: October 31, 2013
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV