One year on from the easing of US sanctions in Myanmar, MasterCard and CB Bank have announced their first payment product in the country – a prepaid travel card for locals called the CB Bank EASI Travel Prepaid MasterCard card.
The reloadable prepaid card will be made available to Myanmar residents for when they travel outside of the country. It is the first such card product to be launched in Myanmar and is yet another stage in the evolution of the electronic payments ecosystem.
MasterCard has been working very closely to enable CB Bank (which it licensed in September last year) to roll out its very first prepaid MasterCard card. CB Bank is already certified and has undergone full system testing as part of its efforts to be connected to the global payments network.
Mr. Kyaw Lynn, Executive Vice Chairman and CEO of CB Bank said, “CB Bank continues to be first in the electronic payments sector in Myanmar and we are pleased to be able to collaborate with MasterCard to launch this travel prepaid card. Just as our country is opening up to the world, at the same time, the world is opening up to our countrymen and we’re seeing more and more locals travel abroad. We are so glad to introduce this travel prepaid MasterCard card to help make their travels safe and hassle-free without the worries of carrying large amounts of cash.”According to Matthew Driver, president, Southeast Asia, MasterCard, “Part of the allure of operating in such a frontier market is in seeing the vital steps of financial inclusion play out: a vast majority of people in Myanmar remain unbanked and don’t have access to financial services. But the payments infrastructure is rapidly developing – from the rollout of ATMs, point-of-sale terminals, and now the introduction of prepaid cards.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV