Analysis: Correlation and the Debt Ceiling
TheStreet Premium Services
A complimentary preview
of Options-Profits Previews
Let's review what each of those signals are saying right now as the debt ceiling crisis intensifies:
1) Realized volatility: is still low, because even though investors are starting to get nervous, stocks just haven't moved very much on a daily closing basis. The one month standard deviation of S&P 500 daily returns is less than 10%!
2) Implied volatility: we looked at this in " VIX and the Debt Ceiling," noting that implied vol has been rising and can be expected to stay high, especially relative to realized vol, while the political situation persists.
3) IV term structure: in two recent posts at Condor Options ( 1, 2), I take a pretty thorough look at term structure and especially how unusual it is to see such a flat term slope while realized vol is low. Historically, this situation justified a bullish bias, since median returns one week and one month later were much better than normal, but of course the risk to a debt ceiling failure is not reflected in those historical statistics.
4) Correlation: the more investors focus on big-picture risks, the more stocks tend to move together. So far, we're not seeing fear creep into either the realized correlation among stocks, or in the future correlation implied by option prices. First, here is the realized correlation of S&P 500 constituents to the index:*
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV