4 Crime-Stopping Reminders for the Fall
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Conventional wisdom has it that summer is the "high crime" season, and there is evidence to back that up. Heat makes desperate people even more aggressive, and criminals are usually more active when the weather is warmer, primarily because they may stay outside later.
In addition, teen crime is up when school is out, and more kids looking for trouble are outdoors well into the evening.
But just because summer is over doesn't mean you should let your guard down.
New data from Master Lock, a Milwaukee consumer security company, says crime is still a threat when autumn rolls around, mostly because it gets dark earlier and criminals can operate under the cover of night.this website ranks the best), it's important to establish guidelines for home-alone children. At the top of that list is to make sure the kids lock the door immediately after getting home; don't answer the door if strangers come calling; and have an exit strategy in case a criminal breaches the house. Be firm about social media sharing. Parents who are lenient about their kids' social media habits could be inviting trouble. Master Lock says that personal, private data, such as photos and location, raise the risk of being victimized if those items fall into the wrong hands. Keep valuables in a secure safe. Even after taking all of the above security measures, keep your valuables out of reach of criminals with a safe. This website reviews the best safes on the market, with prices starting as low as $45. Don't take your family's safety for granted just because you think summer's higher crime rate has passed. The colder, darker months bring unique threats of their own, so take special caution to stay safe this fall.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV