Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM), one of the nation’s leading health and well-being companies, and Valued Relationships, Inc. (VRI), a leading provider of home health monitoring services, are partnering on a national pilot aimed at preventing the serious long-term effects of medical emergencies and falls, and reducing unnecessary hospital admissions, readmissions and emergency room visits.
Beginning in late July, Humana began providing a free personal emergency response system, called a “PERS,” to Medicare Advantage members identified by the company’s national chronic care management division, Humana Cares / SeniorBridge. Plans are for 500 Humana Medicare members nationwide to participate in the six-month pilot.
“We know that a third of people over age 65 fall at least once a year, and nearly half cannot get up without help,” said Humana Cares / SeniorBridge Vice President of Telephonic Clinical Operations Gail Miller. “Our goal is to continue to find ways to help our Medicare members stay longer and safer in their homes. Humana believes a medical alert system can help our members who are at risk of falls, and give their caregivers and family members peace of mind at the same time.”
The VRI medical alert system is easy to use. When help is needed, the member simply pushes a button on the device and a Care Center representative answers the call and gets the help needed, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. VRI also uses the device to track motion and is alerted if the device senses a lack of activity that may signal a health emergency.“We are excited to work with Humana to show that when proven, low-cost Medical Alerts are combined with innovative monitoring processes and fall technologies, health care organizations can improve care and reduce costs associated with hospitalizations,” said Andy Schoonover, President of VRI.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV