NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Gold prices were gaining on Monday as investors fled stocks and piled into hard assets.
COMEX Gold for December delivery was rising $12.70 to $1,322.60 an ounce. The gold price traded as high as 1,329.50 and as low as $1,307.90 an ounce, while the spot price was up $9.74.
"The debt ceiling is approaching, government [still] shutdown, and [investors] see stocks getting slammed. There's a big flight to safety on gold and silver," said Phil Streible, senior commodities broker at RJO Futures. "That was the big talk this morning."
The major U.S. equities were selling off Monday as investors grew concerned that a protracted government shutdown eventually could jolt the fragile U.S. economy into a recession.The move into gold and silver showed investors were looking for a hedge against possible crisis and other uncertainties. Legislators still haven't reached an agreement to fund resume funding government operations, which Capital Economics last week said is reducing spending by $155 million per day, or the equivalent of 0.3% gross domestic product in a year. More immediately, traders and investors are more worried about a deal to raise the government's debt limit. A prolonged debate in the summer of 2011 triggered broad selloffs across asset classes and injected massive volatility in markets. Though Congress did reach a deal, ratings agency Standard &Poor's followed the event with a downgrading of the United States' credit rating. The inability of the U.S. government to "pay its bills" is seen by investors as an unprecedented scenario that could seriously damage the U.S.'s credibility and sluggish economy. Silver prices for December delivery were gaining 61 cents to $22.37 an ounce, while the U.S. dollar index was sliding 0.19% to $79.98. Gold ETF SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) was rising 0.93% to $127.71, while iShares Gold Trust (IAU) was up 0.94% to $12.84. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV