BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- 10 days. That's how far away the U.S. currently sits from running out of money and theoretically defaulting on the national debt. That realization is gut-punching the markets this morning.
The prospect of a default is bizarre. On one hand, ratings agencies are setting the risks of default pretty low right now -- and so are prices for securities most tightly tied to treasuries. On the other hand, Treasury officials have been publicly reminding congress that we'll default if they don't act now.
So yes, there's a gun to the head of the market right now, the chamber is probably empty.Even as stocks correct this fall, there's still an opportunity popping up in some of the market's strongest names. That's why we're turning to a new set of Rocket Stocks for this week. >>5 Cash-Hoarders to Triple Your Gains For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts' expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows. In the last 217 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 92%. Without further ado, here's a look at this week's Rocket Stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV