In eBay's July quarter, management said it expected to do $20 billion of mobile commerce and payment volumes this year. Braintree already does one-quarter of that on an annual basis, the company has a strong list of places where its mobile payments are accepted, including Opentable (OPEN), Rovi Heroku, TaskRabbit and several others.
It's also no coincidence that Braintree's impressive growth has paralleled the declines of traditional payment systems from the likes of VeriFone (PAY) and Ingenico. eBay's management deserves plenty of credit here for seizing an opportunity to build on the cash powerhouse that PayPal has already become. But I don't believe it's time to rest. If Apple (AAPL), with its fingerprint technology, picks off Square soon, it will be game over for PayPal.
As brilliant of a move it was to acquire Braintree, eBay's management will have plenty of other decisions to make. Not the least of those will be which companies it should buy next.
Square has to be at the top of the list. As with Braintree, Square makes it easy for small businesses to accept credit cards without installing a high-fee terminal. And given that Square is estimated to process close to $5 million worth of daily mobile transactions, which average close to $2 billion per year, it's another no-brainer.At the time of publication, the author held no positions in stocks mentioned. Follow @saintssense This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV