OMAHA, Neb., Oct. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Union Pacific Railroad urges hunters to resist the temptation to hunt on railroad property this season. Wildlife will migrate and feed along the edges of freshly harvested fields, making these areas prime hunting spots. With many fields adjacent to Union Pacific tracks, hunters find it very tempting to hunt on or near the tracks.
"Too many people have been injured or killed trespassing on railroad property over the years. As part of our UP CARES public safety initiative, we want to remind hunters that walking on or near railroad tracks is extremely dangerous because you never know when a train will come along," said Robert Morrison, Union Pacific Chief of Police.
"It can take a mile or more to stop a train, and, by the time a locomotive engineer sees you on the track, it is too late to stop," said Dale Bray, Union Pacific director – Public Safety."Locomotives and rail cars overhang the tracks by at least three feet on either side of the rail. If you are too close to the tracks, you can be hit by the locomotive or a rail car," added Bray. In an effort to educate the public about grade crossing and pedestrian safety, UP established the Union Pacific Crossing Accident Reduction Education and Safety (UP CARES) program, which brings together communities in a collaborative and caring effort to promote railroad grade crossing and pedestrian safety. Union Pacific is committed to fostering public safety through various outreach channels, such as community events, paid advertising and media outreach, education and enforcement activities, and coordination with Operation Lifesaver. UP CARES activities include:
- Grade crossing enforcement with local, county and state law enforcement agencies;
- Safety trains that provide local officials a firsthand look at what locomotive engineers see daily while they operate trains through communities and
- Communication blitzes that educate the community at events, or via media outreach and paid advertising.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV