NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Apple's (AAPL) product road map is a topic that may receive more speculation than any subject in all of tech. With that in mind, some are expecting 2014 to be a very big year for the Cupertino, Calif.-based maker of the iPad and iPhone.
Jefferies analyst Peter Misek, he of the precarious Apple upgrade, says 2014 will indeed be a crucial year for Apple as the company lays out its next version of the iPhone, the iPhone 6.
Misek notes that the next phone will likely have a new design and a much bigger screen than its predecessor. A 4.8-inch screen is likely size. The iPhone 5s/5c has a 4-inch screen. "We discovered from Asian players that Apple is aggressively investing in OLED alongside its display partners," Misek wrote in his note. "Apparently Apple has begun to procure equipment for LG Display, Sharp, and Japan Display."Though Apple has been investing in OLED (organic light emitting diode) screens, Misek doesn't believe this is likely for the next version of the iPhone, and is likely to have a two step transition from moving to in-cell technology to on-cell, and then ultimately, on-cell OLED screens. iWatch The next major product in Apple's road map is the oft-rumored iWatch. Misek is expecting a March launch for the product, though he notes it could be shifted. "We expect a $300 price point, 1.8" display, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth but no cellular."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV