Maine Chooses ETS's HiSETâ¿¢ For High School Equivalency
Joins growing number of states offering the affordable, accessible replacement to the GED ® test
PRINCETON, N.J., Oct. 7, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Focusing on the College and Career Readiness Standards, Maine has become the seventh state to announce that it will use the HiSET ™ program for high school equivalency testing.
Beginning in 2014, the state will begin using the HiSET program—which offers paper-based testing in addition to computer-based testing—to serve a greater number of candidates. Furthermore, while the HiSET test is affordable at only $50, Maine is paying all fees for its test takers.The announcement follows Montana's, New Hampshire's, Tennessee's, Missouri's, Iowa's and Louisiana's adoption of the HiSET test during the last several months. The number of states, educators, policymakers and employers looking for a high school proficiency exam replacement that includes elements that are critical to providing out-of-school youth and adults with proof of their readiness for higher education or the workplace is expected to grow. "The decision to use the ETS HiSET put a lot of local programs' minds at ease and our students' learning first," said Maine Adult Education Association President and Auburn Adult Education Director Bill Grant. "This decision to select ETS is a great example of the state being fiscally responsible with taxpayer funds while ensuring education standards remained high. The state selected a rigorous and respected test that is reasonably priced, and was mindful of the spending required by local school departments for new testing materials and technology for testing." The Maine Department of Education has awarded an adult high school equivalency credential since the late 1940s. For decades, Maine's local adult education programs have been deeply committed to providing each test taker with a welcoming and supportive environment for their test preparation and testing. "The selection of ETS's HiSET ensures Maine's adult learners will have access to a high school equivalency assessment that provides the flexibility local programs require to best accommodate the needs of their learners," said Gail Senese, Ph.D., State Director of Adult Education and Family Literacy. Developed by nonprofit Educational Testing Service (ETS) and the University of Iowa's Iowa Testing Program (ITP) the HiSET test covers the same content areas as the current GED, and will be accepted by institutions in the same way, however, the HiSET program's advantages include:
- Affordable test fees to keep this valuable credential accessible for candidates, states and educational programs
- Up to two retests within 12 months, for no additional cost
- Flexibility with the use of existing test centers, test prep and curricula
- English and Spanish versions of the test
- Computer-based and paper-based testing
- Test design and validation by experts in assessment development for fair and reliable results
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV