A new study from the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and Accenture (NYSE:ACN) released today found that private funding and public-private partnerships are helping India overcome two of the largest challenges to vocational education training: an inadequate infrastructure and a shortage of job offers. The study identifies five steps business and government can take to better support vocational trainees and helps meet India’s goal of engaging 500 million trained youth by 2022.
Vocational education training (VET) must provide prospective employees with the skills required to support the next generation of economic growth in manufacturing, retail, construction and tourism, according to the study. Addressing the rise in the number of VET trainees who do not accept job offers or leave jobs within one month of employment is critical, the research shows.
“This action plan dovetails with India’s Five Year Plan targets. By tapping younger candidates for training from rural, low-income locations, empowering them with employable skills and building their careers in important growth sectors such as manufacturing can help India meets its goals of inclusive, accelerated and sustainable growth,” said Nilaya Varma, managing director, Accenture’s Health & Public Service practice in India.
Key FindingsAccording to the research:
- Initiatives funded by NSDC and private-sector organizations have achieved high placement rates for trainees. About 50 percent of those who complete training receive job offers within three months.
- These schemes recorded higher placement rates than similar initiatives
- Those who leave a job within a month of their hiring cited disappointment with the job profile or pay.
- Pre-placement support services provided to trainees needs to be improved. For example, about 50 percent of trainees interviewed said resume writing was very important, but only 21 percent reported receiving such training.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV