The FTSE 100 in London was off by 0.6% and the DAX in Germany was dipping by 0.94%. The Hong Kong Hang Seng settled behind by 0.71% while the Nikkei 225 in Japan finished off by 1.22%.
The benchmark 10-year Treasury was rising 7/32, diluting the yield to 2.624%. The dollar was falling 0.16% to $79.99 according to the U.S. dollar index.
November crude oil futures were down by $1.19 to $102.65 a barrel. December gold futures on the other hand were rising $3.10 to $1,313 an ounce as the metal's safe haven appeal increased amid the distress caused by the government shutdown and debt ceiling deadline.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV