Oct. 7, 2013
Global Strategic Alliance with Chr. Hansen
Acquisition of Center for Agricultural and Environmental Biosolutions assets
- Exclusive, global collaboration covering development and commercialization of biological crop protection products
- FMC and Chr. Hansen to provide scouting and screening of new microbes
- Chr. Hansen to provide scale up and fermentation manufacturing
- FMC to provide formulation, registration and product development expertise, as well as global market access
- Cooperation to develop new products, knowledge and biological expertise
- Proprietary discovery and development platform
- Rich pipeline of biological products in various stages of development
- Extensive intellectual property, including patented technologies
- World-renowned team of researchers based in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
- Deep expertise in scouting and screening for promising new technologies
FMC Corporation (NYSE: FMC) announced today that it has built a world-class platform to serve the fast-growing biological crop protection market through two strategic transactions. FMC has signed an exclusive and global collaboration agreement with Chr. Hansen, a leading biosciences company specializing in cultures, enzymes and fermentation, to develop and commercialize biological crop protection products. FMC also announced the acquisition of the Center for Agricultural and Environmental Biosolutions (CAEB), a division of
-based RTI International, specializing in sustainable agriculture research. Financial terms were not disclosed.
With these two transactions, FMC Agricultural Solutions has created an end-to-end biological platform that complements its traditional strengths in synthetic crop protection chemistries. "FMC is poised to become a leader in biological crop protection," said
Mark A. Douglas
, president, FMC Agricultural Solutions. "We now have a world-class library of microorganisms, deep expertise in biological discovery, and an exclusive strategic alliance with one of the world's foremost authorities on microbial research and fermentation. Combine these new elements with FMC's global market access and historic strengths in formulation, product development, and market innovation and we have a powerful platform from which we can launch a range of new products."
As farmers around the world fight resistance and work to maximize yields, FMC has successfully broadened its portfolio of crop protection products to deliver more value. Long known for proprietary insecticides and herbicides, FMC recently added several established and patented fungicides to its business. Now the company is building on its success in synthetic chemistries to offer a range of biological insecticides, herbicides and fungicides.