In the seven years since its founding in 2005 -- propelled by the designer's oversized "Morning After Bag" -- the brand grew into a $60 million business by 2012, up from about $10 million in 2009, according to Inc. magazine, growing 500%.
And it's that youth that gives investors hope. Granted, $60 million in sales is a long way from $1 billion, let alone a few billion dollars -- something executives at the fashion company would acknowledge.
But Rebecca Minkoff has a strong partner in China, which manufactures the company's accessories. Its partner plans to open 35 stores across that country, betting on the growth of China's middle class and a shift in demand to more accessible contemporary luxury goods.
Success for these brands, according to Leonhardt, relies on having an aesthetic that consumers on the street can easily identify with or relate to, and of course, just offering up desirable product. But there is no formula, she added.Helping to fuel the growth of such companies is not only accessories, but a growing middle class in emerging markets. There may not be 20% growth in China, for example, Leonhardt said, but there will still be attractive opportunities for expansion. And perhaps more shows in, say, Shanghai.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV