EMD Serono Makes First Awards As Part Of The Company's 1 Million Euro Grant For Multiple Sclerosis Innovation
ROCKLAND, Mass. and COPENHAGEN, Denmark, Oct. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- EMD Serono, Inc., a subsidiary of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, announced today on the occasion of the 29 th European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis (ECTRIMS), the recipients of the company's inaugural Grant for Multiple Sclerosis Innovation (GMSI).
- Dr Daniel Harrison , Assistant Professor of Neurology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, received a grant for research seeking to translate novel magnetic resonance imaging and analysis techniques into tools that have clinical applications in MS. He is focused on the validation of tools that will provide more pathologically specific assessments in future clinical trials.
- Dr Thomas Thum , Professor and Director of the Institute of Molecular and Translational Therapeutic Strategies at Hannover Medical School ( Germany), previously evaluated whether microRNAs are differentially regulated in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) of patients with MS. The awarded grant will allow him and a network of German centers to validate their initial findings of altered microRNA patterns in the CSF of up to 1000 patients with MS.
- Dr Kevin O'Connor , Assistant Professor of Neurology at Yale School of Medicine, studies immunology and neurology. His laboratory is specifically interested in defining the mechanisms by which immune cells called B cells, and the antibodies they produce, influence tissue damage in autoimmunity. The grant will be used to support work in determining the specificity of autoantibodies and understanding how particular types of B cells initiate and sustain autoimmunity.
Dr Joshua Bacon , Chair of the Department of Psychology at Stern College for Women at Yeshiva University in New York City, research scientist in the Department of Neurology at NYU School of Medicine, and member of the clinical and research team at NYU Langone's Multiple Sclerosis Comprehensive Care Center, will use the grant to support his research developing tests to detect speed-of-processing impairments in sub-clinical and early MS and developing a comprehensive cognitive rehabilitation program for patients with MS who also have cognitive impairments.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV