NEW YORK (ETF Expert) -- If one focused his/her attention solely on year-to-date performance, he/she might eschew foreign stock ETFs altogether.
With the S&P 500 SPDR Trust (SPY) and the iShares S&P Mid-Cap 400 (IJH) garnering 18% and 22%, respectively, who needs to dabble in emerging markets? After all, Vanguard Emerging Markets (VWO) registered a dismal nine-month showing of -8%.
Think about the discrepancy for a moment. Stock assets around the globe have a tendency to move in the same direction. Yet, broad-based emerging market ETFs have been a drag on investment portfolios. And there's more. During the October 2002 to October 2007 bull market period, emerging market equities provided three times the upside of their U.S. counterparts. In complete contrast, over the last two years, U.S. stocks have provided three times the upside.
On the other hand, if one looks beyond recent disappointments, as well as record ETF outflows in August, the reemergence of emerging markets may soon become the hot story. Not only did broad gauges like VWO appear to bottom out in late August, but resources-related ETFs skyrocketed on a three-month basis.
|Are Resources-Based ETFs Back From The Grave?|
|3 Mon %||1 Year %|
|Guggenheim BRIC (EEB)||20.2%||3.9%|
|Market Vectors Steel (SLX)||19.5%||5.8%|
|First Trust Natural Gas (FCG)||17.8%||10.4%|
|iShares MSCI Brazil (EWZ)||16.3%||-6.9%|
|iShares MSCI Australia (EWA)||14.5%||13.3%|
|Market Vectors Russia (RSX)||13.7%||2.0%|
|Guggenheim Global Timber (CUT)||13.6%||35.5%|
|iShares S&P Global Materials (MXI)||12.9%||3.6%|
|iShares MSCI South Africa (EZA)||12.6%||-1.3%|
|Market Vectors Coal (KOL)||10.9%||-16.8%|
|iShares S&P 100 (OEF)||4.2%||15.8%|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV