NEW YORK (ETF Expert) -- Stocks as an asset class have shrugged off a wide variety of risks throughout the year. Sequestration failed to derail equity enthusiasm. The May-June interest rate spike did little to deter dip-buyers.
I suspect that any actual downside for the markets in October, whether caused by political strife or disappointing economic data, will ultimately be viewed as yet another buying opportunity. Indeed, investors are confident that the Federal Reserve is looking out for them.
The general trend notwithstanding, several ETFs categories defy a simplistic tip of the hat to the Fed's zero-interest rate policy or its quantitative easing (QE) experiment. In essence, some areas have been rocketing on an entirely different kind of fuel.
So what kind of energy can spark faster price growth than a speeding bullet train from Los Angeles to San Francisco? What sort of propellant might ignite an ETF industry group to leap gargantuan debt ceilings in a single trading session? The answer is "perceived demand." Not actual demand necessarily but a demographic-based perception about future mega-trends.For example, advertisers on both radio and television covet the all-important 25-54 adult demographic. Someone, somewhere, determined that this classification represents the most important group of consumers. By the same token, these adults with money and jobs are increasingly using social media and/or going online. It follows that, regardless if the valuations of online/net-oriented companies make sense today, the demographic-based perception of social media demand and online activity bolsters Internet ETFs.
|Internet ETFs and Social Media ETFs Are Soaring|
|1 Month %||3 Month %||1 Year %|
|PowerShares NASDAQ Internet (PNQI)||9.8%||25.7%||50.4%|
|Global X Social Media (SOCL)||11.2%||31.9%||46.4%|
|First Trust DJ Internet (FDN)||8.2%||17.2%||43.8%|
|S&P 500 SPDR Trust (SPY)||2.9%||4.7%||19.9%|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV