Third Point is disappointed that Sotheby’s (NYSE:BID) Board of Directors has trotted out the poison pill – a relic from the 1980’s – as its disproportionate response to the valid concerns expressed in our October 2 nd letter. Rather than address our well-documented citations of mismanagement and initiate a constructive dialogue with its largest shareholder, the Board and the CEO have attempted to further entrench themselves.
Third Point’s involvement does not pose a threat to either the Company or our fellow shareholders, all of whom will benefit from our considerable efforts. It is clear that today, the Chief Executive Officer and his hand-picked directors have put their job security ahead of shareholders.
Given their personal interests and miniscule shareholdings of Sotheby's, the Board’s actions – disenfranchising its owners who may wish to acquire a more significant stake – come as no surprise. We hope this will be the Ruprecht Board’s final snub to its shareholders. It would be unfortunate if they instead refuse to undertake a fresh start until one is imposed upon them during proxy season.
About Third Point LLC: Third Point LLC is an SEC-registered investment adviser headquartered in New York. Third Point is Sotheby’s largest shareholder with a 9.3% stake in the Company’s outstanding shares. Founded in 1995, Third Point follows an event-driven approach to investing globally. Third Point manages assets for Third Point Reinsurance Limited (NYSE:TPRE) and Third Point Offshore Investors Limited (LSE:TPOU LN), as well as its private funds.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV