My final breakout trading prospect is specialty biopharmaceutical player Auxilium Pharmaceuticals (AUXL), which develops and markets products to urologists, endocrinologists, orthopedists and select primary care physicians and plastic surgeons who focus on the hand, and rheumatologists. This stock is off to a slow start in 2013, with shares up just 8.3% during the last six months.
If you look at the chart for Auxilium Pharmaceuticals, you'll notice that this stock recently formed a triple bottom chart pattern at $17.36, $17.74 and $17.57 a share. Following that bottom, shares of AUXL have now started to trend back above its 50-day moving average of $18.29 a share. That move is quickly pushing shares of AUXL within range of triggering a near-term breakout trade.Traders should now look for long-biased trades in AUXL if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance levels at $19 to $19.08 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that hits near or above its three-month average action of 834,717 shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then AUXL will set up to re-test or possibly take out its next major overhead resistance level at $20.95 a share. Any high-volume move above that level will then give AUXL a chance to re-test its 52-week high at $25.54 a share. Traders can look to buy AUXL off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below some key near-term support levels at $17.36 to $16.77 a share. One could also buy AUXL off strength once it clears those breakout levels with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a conformable percentage from your entry point. To see more breakout candidates, check out the Breakout Stocks of the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Roberto Pedone in Delafield, Wis.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV