Another stock that looks ready to trigger a near-term trade is CBOE Holdings (CBOE), which is engaged in the trading of options on individual equities, market indexes and exchange-traded funds. This stock has been on fire so far in 2013, with shares up sharply by 56%.
If you take a look at the chart for CBOE Holdings, you'll notice that this stock recently formed a triple bottom chart pattern at $44.44, $44.58 and $44.86 a share. Following that bottom, shares of CBOE have started to uptrend modestly and move within range of taking out some key near-term overhead resistance levels.Traders should now look for long-biased trades in CBOE if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance at $46.98 a share and then once it takes out its 50-day moving average of $46.98 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that hits near or above its three-month average action of 612,798 shares. If that breakout hits soon, then CBOE will set up to re-test or possibly take out its next major overhead resistance levels at $49.59 a share to its 52-week high at $51.12 a share. Any high-volume move above $51.12 will then give CBOE a chance to tag $60 to $65 a share. Traders can look to buy CBOE off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below $44 a share. One could also buy CBOE off strength once it takes out those breakout levels with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage from your entry point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV