CLEVELAND, Oct. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Dominion East Ohio reminds customers that an annual furnace inspection by a qualified, reputable heating contractor can ensure that they receive maximum winter heating safety, comfort and efficiency.
Besides helping customers receive maximum value for their heating dollars, an annual appliance inspection can prevent any potential carbon monoxide problems. Carbon monoxide (CO) detectors provide a second line of defense, but they should not be used as a substitute for an annual furnace inspection. Combined with an annual inspection, however, a single CO detector, placed in the sleeping area of a home, offers additional peace of mind.
In addition to an annual inspection, customers should change furnace filters according to the manufacturer's instructions, to receive the best possible value for their heating dollars. For a listing of local contractors, customers can call the Comfort Line at 1-800-427-1471 weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.
While checking a furnace, the contractor should make a visual inspection of all vents, heat exchangers and motors. A thorough inspection should include:
- Lubricating the blower bearings and blower motor as recommended by the manufacturer;
- Visually inspecting all vents, the heat exchanger and filters;
- Checking the pilot light if the furnace has one;
- Higher efficient furnaces, without pilot lights, require the flame sensor to be cleaned and checked;
- Cleaning the main burners;
- Clearing the furnace area of any dust or combustible materials;
- Cleaning dust from the blower compartment;
- Testing the thermostat to ensure the heating system works as it should;
- Checking the safety components on the heating equipment, such as limit controls and pilot safety and pressure switches;
- Checking the flue to ensure it is clean and open. Any fuel that does not burn completely can create harmful levels of carbon monoxide. The gas can collect in a home if a fuel-burning appliance is not working or venting properly;
- Don't forget the other gas appliances such as water heaters, gas logs, vent-free heaters, ranges and clothes dryers.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts