SurePayroll Inc., a leader in providing online payroll to small businesses nationwide, today announced results for the September 2013 SurePayroll Small Business Scorecard® showing optimism falling to 59 percent, after being as high as 72 percent last month. Month-over-month hiring was flat in September and the average paycheck was down 0.4 percent.
As health care reform begins, and in the midst of a government shutdown, 43 percent of small business owners surveyed said understanding the impact of the Affordable Care Act alone would make them more confident in hiring again.
“The uncertainty caused by the government shutdown serves to further force small business owners to reconsider any long-term investments or hiring. On top of that, the only thing that’s certain about health care reform right now is that it’s causing more uncertainty,” said SurePayroll CEO and President Michael Alter. “In the meantime, small business owners are not likely to add more employees or pay their current employees more until they know exactly how the new health law will affect them.”
While optimism dropped and hiring was flat, 46 percent of small business owners surveyed said they did better in the third quarter of 2013 than the third quarter of 2012, and 30 percent said results were the same. Fifty-eight percent said they matched expectations for the quarter; 13 percent said the quarter exceeded expectations; and 29 percent said results were below expectations.Year over year, nationwide hiring is down 1.7 percent and paychecks are down 0.1 percent. Year over year, the South is the only region where hiring is up at 1.3 percent and paychecks there are up 0.7 percent. The West shows a hiring decline of 2.5 percent, with paychecks down 0.9 percent. Hiring in the Midwest is down 3.0 percent and paychecks are positive, up 2.0 percent. In the Northeast, hiring is down 4.1 percent and paychecks are down 2.1 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV