- Minimized Heat Island Effects – Highly reflective roofing materials were installed to reduce heat island effects and increase the efficiency of the HVAC systems. High solar reflective index (SRI) concrete pavement was also installed to minimize the heat island effect and eliminate the generation of greenhouse gases and pollution.
- FSC Certified Wood – Wood used in the construction of the Whirlpool facility was a level of Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified wood. The FSC standard incorporates many criteria that contribute to long-term health and integrity of forest ecosystems, which include sustainable timber harvesting, preserving wildlife habitat and biodiversity, maintaining soil and water quality.
- Use of Low-VOC Materials – Low-volatile organic compound (VOC) materials, paints and caulks were used. Off-gassing in the interior environment was significantly decreased and the building surpassed the requirements for pre-occupancy indoor air quality testing.
- Low-Flow Plumbing – To reduce the amount of water the Whirlpool project would use, Gray installed ultra-low-flow plumbing fixtures. The water usage is more than 40 percent less than a regular base line building and no potable water is used for irrigation due to the process of rainwater reuse, which helps to conserve local and regional potable water resources.
- Construction Material Recycling – Construction waste was carefully managed to recycle or reuse materials as much as possible; more than 20 percent of the materials used to construct the building were recycled.
Whirlpool Corporation's Cleveland, TN, Facility Earns LEED Gold Certification
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.