NEW YORK, Oct. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Scholastic (NASDAQ: SCHL) and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation today released select findings from Primary Sources: America's Teachers on Teaching in an Era of Change, the third edition of the landmark report series presenting teachers' views on current issues at the heart of education. Twenty thousand of our nation's public school teachers were surveyed, and in advance of the full findings, teachers' views on the Common Core State Standards are now available.
Ninety-seven percent of teachers surveyed are aware of the Common Core State Standards—100 percent in the 46 states that are implementing them. They are enthusiastic about implementation, but also realistic, recognizing that it will be challenging and they will need to adjust their teaching practice. Teachers also call for more professional development and resources to implement the standards.
"I see teachers' real experiences in the Primary Sources findings about the Common Core State Standards," noted Naima Lilly, a mathematics educator in New York City. "I believe the standards are holding students and teachers to higher expectations and providing consistency in a positive way. While implementation can be daunting at the beginning, I'm confident that in the long run it will all be worth it."Key advance findings include: Overall, 73 percent of teachers who teach math, English language arts (ELA), science and/or social studies in Common Core states agree they are enthusiastic about the implementation of the standards in their classrooms. Math and/or ELA teachers (77%) and elementary school teachers (81%) expressed the highest levels of agreement, while their middle school and high school teacher peers have lower percentages of agreement at 71 percent and 57 percent, respectively.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV